Progressive Christian Social Action
My New Book is Out!
Hello friends. I’m happy to announce that my new book, Love in a Time of Climate Change, has finally been released. I’m delighted with how it turned out and thrilled to be holding copies in my hand. It will be available in local bookstores here in Nevada County when I receive a shipment next week. It’s already available through online distributors. You, my friends, can help boost its visibility by ordering a copy, reading the book, and posting a review. Find it at Amazon here.
This book offers a spiritually-based approach to climate change that is informed by both science and theology. It makes the case that the spiritual principle of loving God and neighbor is the only foundation strong enough to take us through this grave global crisis. While the book primarily addresses Christians, it also speaks to people of other faith and philosophical traditions who care about the earth and seek a peaceful and just world.
It was a year ago that I signed the book contract with Fortress Press and started working seriously on Love in a Time of Climate Change: Honoring Creation, Establishing Justice. I felt that I needed to present a progressive alternative to the anti-science biblical literalism of the Religious Right, which helped to elect Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed climate change skeptic. (For more on this theme, see Paris, Trump, and the Religious Right.) This book does just that by:
- Presenting an overview of climate change and its implications for churches, poor and vulnerable people, future generations, and creation itself;
- Exploring the themes of creation and justice in the context of climate change;
- Using resources drawn from scripture, tradition, reason, and experience to inform, challenge, and encourage readers to form their own conclusions;
- Offering hope for the future based on spiritual awakening and the need for a broad-based movement that includes various constituencies working together for peace, justice, and caring for the natural world;
- Proposing activities that people can take beyond personal lifestyle change to help build the global movement for climate justice.
I’ll be presenting Love in a Time of Climate Change at several upcoming public events, which I’ll announce soon. I’m scheduled to go on the road (or, rather, on the train) in November, with several presentations scheduled, including in Boston and New York. It’s an exciting time.
Meanwhile, climate change continues to progress, a reality that motivates me to keep on with my work, in solidarity with all of you who continue working for a world that is habitable and abundant the children and upcoming generations. May we work together with the Spirit of the universe, who surely is with us in this struggle.
Find out more about the book at Love in a Time of Climate Change at this website, where you can find the Table of Contents, Initial Endorsements, and several excerpts.
To receive an email notification each time Sharon posts to her blog, click the “Follow Sharon Delgado” button at the right.
Other blog postings about climate change can be found here.